Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Clinic

Whew what a morning.  Woke up at 7:15...yes late I guess I was too tired to hear my alarm.  Even though I was only up once to feed Tyson after going to bed around midnight (the past 2 nights he has been sleeping one five hour block...so nice...I'm grateful although don't expect it to last) I was still feeling pretty exhausted.  Maybe it has to do with the fact that I finally got the garage all cleaned out and organized Monday so both cars could fit and got the kitchen cupboards organized too. Glad I was able to get it done though.  So I hurried to get ready and feed Tyson and pump before we were supposed to leave at 8.  No we didn't leave at 8.  I finally woke Gracie at 8 and tried to get her to hurry and eat (doesn't happen) so we tried to be patient with her while she slowly ate and put her numbing cream on her port and changed her.  I think we left a little after 8:30.  Todd drove separate so he could go straight to his rotation after since it's in portland and Grandma stayed home with Tyson.
About half hour into the drive I heard Gracie gag in the backseat and turned to look real quick and saw she had thrown up.  Since we were running so late anyway for her 9:00 appt and we were only about 10 minutes away and I HATE pulling over on the freeway something about it scares me...maybe the cars whizzing by at fast speeds (even though it wasn't too fast b/c of traffic...must of been cause there were SOO many cars).  As soon as I made that split second decision she started throwing up again and again and again and it was just pouring out of her mouth all over her shirt, her beloved blanket, the car seat...everywhere.  So I of course changed my mind and pulled over.  I scooped up the vomit that was all over her blanket and put it in the trunk dreading a tantrum begging for her blanket.  Got her out of the seat...tried to wipe the puke off her buttons so I could unbutton her shirt (they were COVERED...literally I couldn't see them) and took her shirt off.  One perk of her not having hair is that it didn't get all over in her hair.,  She was SCREAMING of course she was she was shirtless on the side of the 26 at 9:30 in the morning it wasn't too warm.  Then tried to wipe the remains from her face, hands and rest of her body.  I put her in the front seat and put a shirt on then tried to salvage the carseat so I could put her back in it.  We made it back on the road and to clinic.  We were all done with clinic by 11:30...I think the fastest ever...Until I went down to pick up her at home chemo for this week.  They told me that it was going to take several hours to draw up.  Are you serious?  Several hours...we are all ready to go home and you want me to go sit up in the clinic we come to every single week and wait for several hours?  Well after patiently making my way through the vomit and fighting off my exhaustion this morning I wasn't prepared to hear that.  I fought really hard to hold back the tears and my ever increasing desire to go find an empty room and just cry for a few hours.  I went back upstairs told Todd and got us a few things to eat including some ice cream with oreos which I decided would take the place of my good long cry and tried to think of good things about that day.  My favorite one was that Gracie only mentioned her blanket once and never threw a tantrum about it and instead carried the extra blanket of Tyson's I had in the car...luckily I had  that extra blanket there without planning. 

Getting chemo


Worn out on the way home
Luckily the nurses called down to the pharmacy and it turns out it didn't really take several hours to do as they told me...as I suspected (they just have to be so difficult sometimes) and it was done in about an hour.   We made it home without any more puking.  Probably due to the zofran they gave her IV before her cytarabine.  They said sometimes the kids get an anticipatory nausea b/c they know where they are going.  Poor thing, broke my heart watching her throw up so much and so scared sitting in the backseat by herself as it kept coming and coming. 
Her counts are on the decline...just as they expected. 
Clinic Stats
Weight: 32 lbs 11 oz
WBC:1.7
ANC: 600
HGB:8.4
Platelets:178,000
So far no fever...but I can't say there is no anxiety that there may be one soon as her counts keep dropping.  I think I finally got the mess all cleaned up and the car seat cleaned and put back together.  Hoping this anticipatory sickness doesn't become a regular thing.  Tyson's 2 month tomorrow and chemo in the morning.  Not sure I am liking this back to back Dr appt thing.  Last week I went to the dr wednesday after a LONG tuesday clinic.  I guess at least these appt's will be out of the way.  Hoping both kids won't feel too lousy tomorrow at the same time.   

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad the pharmacy was able to get it together! That is crazy they would make you wait several hours!!! Oh, it breaks my heart to hear about her getting sick. That is so hard.

    ReplyDelete