Friday, December 9, 2011

We accomplished 2 dental appts (both for me) and clinic for Gracie including 6 hour fast from 9:30-4:00ish and methotrexate/vincristine in 28 hours:)  Glad to say it's all done.  Surprisingly as a hygienist I HATE getting fillings...maybe it's because I feel I of all people should know how to prevent decay.  Guess we're all human and life throws at us sometimes what is hardest for us.  Anyway as I sat in the chair and even somewhat approached that thought of wishing I wasn't there my mind instantly flashed to my hero Gracie and how in her honor I should suck it up and be a  "big girl".  So I did.  Besides I can't compare that to how amazing she is b/c 4 fillings is cake walk for that champ. 
She went over 6 hours fasting and I only recall her asking once or twice for water once her clear liquids were gone.  My opinion...she has angels surrounding her...oh and she's one tough cookie!  We woke her at 8 (usually she sleeps til about 9:30 or so) and got her a good meal including chocolate chips!  When you endure what she does...you deserve a few of those in the morning to get you through the day!  And as I hoped she took a nap before clinic and we woke her about 1 to finish up getting things ready and headed out.  All 4 of us went this time and Tyson spent much of his time flirting with the female Dr and nurses.  Cute little guy he was awesome too.  He was quiet on the drive there and back...I assume sleeping.  And he was pretty much happy the whole  time we were there and i only had to feed him once while Gracie was coming out of sedation. 
I believe this was sedation #13...believe it or not.  In my 25 years I think I've had ONE!  ONE!!  That sounds ridiculous to me I've had one and my 2 year old has had 13 with at least 6-7 planned in the near future.  She is a little more sensitive to her port lately and seems hesitant to have her shirt taken off ever even at home and points to her port and says "hurt". It makes me sad.  She looked more like she was having a seizure than I've ever seen with the sedation and it was hard to watch...but of course as always easier to watch than leave her side while that's happening.  Once they put her on the table her arms were jerking around.  Today and last night she's complained of her back a few times...sad to hear...I'm sure from the spinal tap. We finished treatment last night about 5:00 pm on the dot so we all hung out in the clinic for another hour to avoid the bad traffic.  Easier to care for the kids there than in the car for an extra hour while we wait to get on the 405.  I've sat there for 45 min before and had no desire to repeat it with Tyson and Gracie.  The drive was fine after we waited out the traffic. 
Gracie has been so much more talkative and vocal lately.  She will say "YES" really loud and sometimes whle throwing her arms in the air with excitment it's adorable.  This week I asked if she wanted a bath or a shower with Mom and she got SOO excited and kept saying yes and throwing her arms up.  She is just eating breakfast now it's almost noon.  I gave her zofran this morning and she hasn't been interested in eating.   Typically if we let her eat before Zofran she has thrown up in the past.  So thankfully I remembered and she didn't eat right away so far she hasn't thrown up yet and seems content with eating. 
I talked to Gracie's Pediatric Oncologist yesterday who said Tyson weighs enough that he should be able to start going longer at night and we could start working on that...I guess he heard her b/c he only went to bed at 10:30 and woke up at 4 and drank 4 oz i had pumped with Todd and slept til 9:00.  It was so nice to have a night of sleep.  Although I still feel tired...it's a strange thing catching up on sleep it takes a while.  We'll see if he continues.  I've learned to never expect anything to stick with kids then your not SORELY disappointed when they dont'.  `  

1 comment:

  1. Did I mention I love your family pictures! I want to see them all!

    ReplyDelete