Tuesday, October 25, 2011

6 months and no clinic

Do you know that 6 months ago tomorrow (although it was a Tuesday so it seems fitting that I post today) we took a head first plunge into the deep seas of cancer?  Yep 6 months ago I heard the Dr say my daughter may have "leukemia".  Think of it...think of someone saying that word to you about your child.  The world stops.  Because you are no longer in the same world.  Two days later it officially was leukemia. 
I think she knew she needed lots of prayers (in the hospital she would fold her arms and want to say lots of super short prayers).   Can you believe how sweet she looks after several days in the hospital. 
6 months later I think WOW!!  It's been 6 months?  For six months we've done what I would have called insurmountable...I don't say it because I think I'm a great person because we haven't done it alone.  We've had LOTS of help, lots of prayers and lots of "I can't do this for another second" moments.  But guess where we are six months later?  We aren't in the hospital...we are home!  And we cancelled clinic today for the first time in 6 months (with the Dr's approval of course).  She's doing so well we got to skip her appt to check counts today.  Today I felt like things were somewhat normal...I thought about a day when I could take Gracie out and not worry...and it seemed somewhat real (that's HUGE for me).  I went to the grocery story this morning instead of clinic and the sun was shining...then I realized we've made it through the worst of her treatment.  Yes we still have 21 months left (Yuck, let's not think about that...we're on a good streak), but none of it should be quite as bad as what we've been through.  Todd's last day of his ER rotation is Friday...then it's Gracie's birthday (She's going to be 2...I know I know it looks a lot younger compared to that 21 months of treatment she's almost got another lifetime of treatment for her current age).  But I'm super excited and we're going to have a little party in the garage (cause we don't dare have friends over inside) and then it's going to be Halloween and we plan to do a little trick or treating.  I am actually a little afraid to say all those things thinking they won't happen or something will go wrong to prevent it.  But of course we will have a very fun weekend end with cold splash of reality since she's scheduled for a spinal tap and two chemos the day after Halloween...but at least we will hopefully have a great weekend before filled with a little bit of normalcy.  Then Todd will be home with us until the day after Christmas..we're way excited.  He may lose his mind a little bit...it's confining for a stay at home Mom to not go out much other than clinic/grocery shopping.  For a super busy Dad/grad student... we shall see!  Either way I think we'll have some fun...and maybe get a little more rest. 
Well Sunday we went to the temple for a little escape from the house...ended up later than we wanted so it was dark and the gates were locked...but we still had fun so here are a few pics.

Pointing to the angel Moroni 



Dad wore one of her hats to get her to wear hers to keep her head warm.  She still thinks has hair I think.  She is always taking clips out of my hair and trying to put them in hers.  I help her by putting them on top of her head and they balance until she moves or reaches up to pull it out (not to hard when it's not attached to anything).  I figure why not let her keep her innocence and enjoy her "hair" and clips. 

2 comments:

  1. Aw, that picture of Todd at the bottom for some reason puts a tear in my eye. All I can say is that Gracie is so blessed to have wonderful parents. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you have such a gorgeous family! I love you sooo much! We miss you. I can't believe how much things have changed since last year, but mostly how incredible you have all been. It's truly a blessing to have friends like you guys!

    ReplyDelete