Anyway at clinic she got her zofran and we waited for her labs from downstairs to come back...and when they should have been back the nurse called and they said it was lost somewhere in the tube system. So she redrew the blood and we started again. A while later it came back good ( her liver enzymes-blood chemistries- have to be at a certain level for methotrexate as well as her blood counts). Thankfully she fell asleep for about an hour or so while we waited b/c her appt was at 12:30 pm despite my efforts to get an earlier appt. She woke up mad while they were giving her chemo, but we managed to hurry and get out of there and head home just before the rotten friday night traffic I think we left about 3:30.
Her sleep schedule is way off even though we had somewhat regulated her for a few nights she slept last night from midnight til 11 am. And she just woke up from a nap...Yikes it's 8:45 pm. You'd think at 7:00 it would be for the night. Nothing like cancer to ruin a child's sleep schedule. She's sleeping more from the methotrexate she usually only sleeps a max of 9 hours a night typically 8. Tyson has really been a starving little guy i pumped one night b/c I was exhausted and Todd thought if he slept right next to him he would sleep longer. Nope...he still wanted to eat about every 2 hours. He's darn cute though and we love him. But I wouldn't turn down a little more sleep at night.
Gracie woke up yesterday morning around 10 and didn't want to eat for about an hour and then when she did after a few bites she got a scared look started crying a little and grabbed at her stomach I tried to hurry and get her out of her seat and to the sink...but alas it was unsuccessful and we both ended up with smelly oatmeal on us. Just makes me sad that she has to keep getting stuff that makes her feel that way. Wish she could tell us so we knew how long to give her her medicine cause she acts ok...then suddenly throws up. Oh well only 3 more doses of the IV methotrexate. She is really acting older and LOOKING older. Several of the nurses and her Dr mentioned it at clinic this week. Shes' getting taller and thinning out. She's lost some weight too probably a combo of her not eating much for a few days after chemo and some of the steroid weight coming off.
Clinic Stats:
Weight: 14.8 kg (down from 15.1)
ANC: 2400
Hemoglobin: 11.7
Platelets: over 400,000
She's talking more and more and seems to understand so much. Her hair is also beginning to come back in. Just peach fuzz still but looking darker and there are more little hairs growing in.
The nausea makes me feel sad for Gracie, but I'm grateful her counts were up. Gotta cling to the positives . . . . .
ReplyDeleteOh this is good news, you all deserve it. I miss you and we need to talk again soooon!
ReplyDeleteSounds pretty miserable! Thanks so much for helping me out last week. I had a glimpse into your weekly blood draws (which is your easiest part, I'm sure) I hope Tyson will sleep more for you. I totally agree, babies and kids decide to either sleep great and be perfect while mom is gone, or the baby screams the whole time so Dad decides he can't possibly take care of a nursing baby again. Let me know when you want to do something together. Wed or Friday are good for me this week, or another week,whatever works for you.
ReplyDeleteI really don't know how you are doing all of it. Caring for someone sick is so time consuming. Life just seems to stand still while you do your life. You and Todd are really amazing people and Gracie is a super woman. I really think God sends children with illness to special parents. Keep smiling you are loved and doing great.
ReplyDeleteHi Andrea,
ReplyDeleteThis is Bonnie chiming in. Just want to send you my love and prayers. My heart aches for you when I read your blog. I remember the tiredness I felt with healthy children, so much more so for you caring for a sick child. I'm sure you'll look back on this and wonder how you all made it. I think you'll feel like you had angels pushing your handcart. It was good to see Todd at the wedding. It was a lovely experience in the temple. Elder Holland was amazing. He was so comfortable to be with. Talking to him was like talking to your next door neighbor.