Friday, March 2, 2012

Clinic and a 2nd ER trip

So for once I'm going to be quick in detail about an event. the Monday after our ER trip for Gracie's concussion she was difficult to arouse and long story short we weren't get response from onc's b/c of the holiday and must have had lots of calls so as she started vomiting again after her deep sleep and only waking to say "tired"  a panic stricken Dad called 911 and they went by ambulance to the ER and I followed only to wait for hours and come home with nothing but a nasty port access saying her counts WBC and ANC were high...ANC was over 4000 super rare for her and we all attribute it to the stress and vomiting.  Kept her on zofran and oxycodone off and on for a few days and now we seem to be back to "normal" whatever that means.

This last Tuesday was clinic and she made her Mom and Dad very proud even though he wasn't there.  I got some ideas from other cancer moms I tried, and  we went a little early and on the way I explained everything that was going to happen.  We waited til we arrived to put the numbing cream on her port and even though she was NOT thrilled to go back when they called her back she sat on the chair by herself for the VERY FIRST time to get her blood pressure. She weighed herself 3 times and insisted on her height twice and of course putting the thermometer back in after her temp:)  I had told her on the drive if she was SOO brave at clinic she could choose a NEW balloon-we got her one for Valentine's day and it was a real prize in her mind.  As we started the access I feared things would never improve as she kicked screamed, cried and I had to lay her on the table instead of holding her on my lap b/c of her fighting.  She was screaming Daddy...yes even though he wasn't there so we used Daddy as a prize along with the balloon...I told her "if you are brave we will tell how Daddy how brave you are" and pulled out the big guns of the flexing G says guh (not sure how to write the sound a G makes) from the Letter Factory since they flex together at home and make the G sounds and her name starts with G....many more such incentives were given in desperation!  But...it actually worked.  Sometimes in the heat of the battle the tears stopped for a few seconds off and on and she would hold still and just look at me.  She did indeed get to see Daddy right after and tell him how brave she was since he happened to be getting out of a mtg in the same hall about the time we left.  The whole way home until she fell asleep I heard Dad..brave over and over.  She did in fact get a balloon from Dad that night although it was very hard to be patient so long!  Well deserved in my mind.  I might as well admit I most definately got teary eyed with how proud I was of her on the drive home. 
Her counts were perfect...
Clinic stats
ANC: 1400
Hemoglobin:n 12.7
Platelets: over 400,000
Weight: said 15.8 kg but I think she was wearing heavier clothing that day
Now hopefully we're really home free for the next 3 1/2 weeks with no hospital/clinic visits but boredom isn't a commodity we enjoy here other than the boredom of seeing the same walls in our home all the time which is outweighed by the other option of the hospital walls so we're grateful to see these walls!  

4 comments:

  1. Oh Andrea I get so emotional when I read your blogs. That story was so precious! I don't know how you and Todd do it, you are incredible! Especially Gracie! Have a fun few weeks! Wish you were in Utah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO proud of our little girl . . . . and her parents! Here's hoping there's no more clinic/hospital visits for the next 3-4 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even know how you can keep doing that. I hate watching Bryan and he is not a baby. She is soooo brave and should have many balloons. But I am sure one was exciting. You have taught me so much in all of your experiences. I am sorry that you have to do them, but not sorry for what you have learned. Thanks for being my teacher. Love you Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. you all are SOOO brave. here's to 16 months going FAST and uneventful.

    ReplyDelete